Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Office 2007

I have decided to give Microsoft Office 2007 a try. In fact I am writing and publishing this post all through a blogging feature within Word 2007. I haven’t had much time with Office 2007 yet, but the time I have spent using it has been nothing short of great.

The navigation and “look and feel” of the new version of Office is so beyond previous versions that it makes me wonder why Microsoft didn’t make an overhaul as good as this in the past.

The interface is so different yet somehow I was able to navigate through it with ease as if I have been using the program for months.

The design of Office 2007 will also blend seamlessly with the new Windows OS Vista.

However, I have one major problem with this Beta release. It installs great, but when it comes to the point of activating it, it doesn't work. An error message pops up every time saying that it can't connect to the internet. Unlike other software applications, you cannot activate over the phone either. I have about 40 attempts left before Office 2007 needs to be activated.

After a search online, I realized I am not the only one having this issue. Please Microsoft, if you release a public beta as big as this, I understand some minor bugs here and there, but an issue with being able to activate the program? WTF?

This sums up my preview of the Office 2007 beta. If you’re interested in trying out the beta, send me an e-mail and I’ll try and steer you in the right direction. But, I would wait until this activation thing clears up.

UPDATE: The activation has been cleared up by Microsoft now. So, feel free to download it. You'll find some screen shots of Office 2007 below. Notice the major changes to the interface with Word, Powerpoint, Access and Excel.



Word 2007:



Outlook 2007:



Excel 2007:




Powerpoint 2007:



Publisher 2007:



Access 2007:




15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Activating wasnt working for me either, but last night it was up and running, and i have activated all of the Office 2007 betas.

Remember the Microsoft server would just of had a battering, with loads of people downloading upto 4GB off there servers.

8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

had no problem with it .. but i am a proper beta tester... as in they send me the betas on disc.. and all that stuff

8:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if you stop being such a fag, and only beta test if you truly are a beta tester... stop downloading stuff you shouldn't have dick face.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another site dedicated to this:
http://www.pcnx.com

10:52 AM  
Blogger Daniel M Silverman said...

Jim,

I don't know where any of my comments caused you to believe I was homosexual. Also, this Beta 2 of Office 2007 is a public beta test, so why you think myself or anybody else shouldn't be downloading this version is beyond me. Additionally, no matter what level of beta (public or private) this version of software or any software is, pointing out problems is the main goal of conducting beta tests.

So, instead of calling me ignorant names, maybe you should first understand what a Beta test is.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Saeed said...

Yo i bet Jim is a super l33t beta tester who frowns apon public beta testers. I also bet he thinks he's cool for using dirty words

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Jim has some pent up frustrations in regards to his own sexuality.

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I think Jim is upset that he's still living in his parent's basement and hasn't kissed a woman since his "grammy" came to town back in ol' 1998....

Jim, you are the weakest link.....pervert

HAHHAHAAAHHAHAHAHAHHA loser

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

used the first beta for about 6 weeks now.just blew it away and loaded the beta2 w/o any issues. outlook looks and performs like a champ.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've had the 2007 for just a week now .... looks and feels nice ... when it works... but it's regularly hanging ... Word and Excel ... (don't use Outlook)
Sometimes comes back with a message that it's "waiting for and OLE function in another program" .... but it's the ONLY ONE active ... but mostly ... just hangs ... SHAME ..

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have loaded the office beta and while i can create files i cant reopen them or any from previous versions ... any suggestions

11:16 PM  
Blogger Daniel M Silverman said...

Are you not able to re-open them in Word 2007, or are you not able to open a Word 2007 document in a previous version? Make sure when you save your file in Word 2007, you save it for the appropriate version needed. When you save a document in Word 2007 as a "Word Document" you are actually saving it as a Word 2007 document. There is an option under "Save As" to save the document as a "Word 97-2003" document. I hope this helps.

- Daniel M. Silverman

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

6:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Had some prob's with powerpoint 2007.When I inserted a WAV file into a page the sound was fine but the picture was as if someone had turn the lights off. then tried the same file on media player, same prob!. I then restarted the pc an the file worked fine in media player. Checked my codecs (up todate). tried again with power point, still bad! GAVE UP

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to say Office 2007 is Crap along with Vista. Been a computer user for 21 years owning my own business for 8 & must say all this vista & office is nothing good. My stuff worked for all about 2 weeks then everything broke are wasn't compatiable. Office 2007 broke and now I can't even uninstall it. Listen people stick with what works for now and wait. Glad I was able to raint

11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home