Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Time To Drop The Drop?

I remember years ago I would tune into a music awards ceremony on TV, like the MTV video awards, and I would hear rappers use the term "drop" when describing the release of their next album. You know, sort of like "...and my new CD drops August 12." In a slang sort of way it was somewhat cool to hear someone describe it this way instead of saying "my CD is coming out then" or "my CD is being released then."

However, maybe it's just me, but I've noticed this term being way overused. And in no way should it be used when talking about technology news.

It seems every where I look lately, I see this term. It's in places such as Engadget.com and ign.com.

What bothers me about the term is not so much that it was somewhat cool almost 10 years ago, people know I still use un-cool-once-cool-words, but it's the fact that it confuses the hell out of me when I see headlines like "Magellan drops three new RoadMate GPS devices." It just reads to me like a headline saying Magellan decided not to produce three of their RoadMate GPS devices. I don't know if these writers are using the word to try and be cool or not, but I have two helpful words...STOP IT!

Look people, consumed goods are not dropped as if they were parachuted out of an airplane and magically landing in your favorite store. They are released, shipped and delivered. So, even though the UPS and FedEX guy make it seem like all they do is drop our delivered goods around judging by the way boxes are either ripped or crushed, let's remember to try and find other words to describe this process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home